Food and Technique Borrow
Cheddar and Parmesan Polenta, with Chicken Roulade topped with Black olive and grape salsa, sautéed long carrots and purple onions.
For the Chicken Roulade
- 2 Each Filets of Chicken Breast
- 1 ½ Tsps of Salt
- 1 ½ Tsps of Black Pepper
- 2 Juliennes of Ripe Plantain
- 2 Juliennes of Red Bell Pepper
- 2 Patchoi Leaves
- 2 Juliennes of Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Egg
- ½ Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Milk
- ½ Cup of Bread Crumbs
- 3 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- 2 Each Long Baby Carrots
- 3 Slices of Purple Onions
- 1 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
For the Olive and Grape Salad
- 6 Black Olives ( Sliced Thinly )
- 6 Green Seedless Grapes ( Sliced Thinly )
- 1 Medium Tomato ( Small Diced )
- ½ Tsp of Minced Fresh Basil
- 1 Tsp of Minced Fresh Parsley
- 1 Tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
For the Cheddar Polenta
- 2 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbsp of Minced Onions
- 2 Tsps of Minced Garlic
- 2 Tsp of Minced Pimentos
- 1 Tsp of Fine Thyme Leaves
- 1 Tsp of Minced Rosemary
- 1 ½ Cups of Vegetable Stock
- 1 ½ Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup of Cornmeal Flour
- 2 Tbsp of Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup of Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Tbsp of Butter
- 2 Tbsp of Minced Parsley
- Salt and Black Pepper to Taste.
For The Chicken Roulade
- Place filet of chicken breast unto a cutting board. Using a boning knife, carefully butterfly the chicken breast open horizontally ensuring not cut right through the other end. It should open out like the wings of a butterfly. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and using the smooth side of meat mallet pound gently to flatten the chicken breast as to increase the surface area.
- Season liberally with salt and black pepper and set aside.
- With the open side of the chicken breast facing upward place one sheet of the patchoi leaf on one side of the chicken as well as the cheese, plantain and peppers.
- Gently roll the chicken breast sushi style as to tightly encapsulate all the fillings in a roll form. Affix the chicken breast with two or three two tooth picks as to prevent it from un-rolling.
- Place in chiller for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- In one shallow bowl, beat egg and milk, in another shallow bowl place flour, and lastly in another bowl place breadcrumbs.
- Place a sauté pan over high heat.
- Take chicken breast and place in flour, then egg wash and then breadcrumbs.
- Put 3 Tbsp of Oil in the sauté pan and sear the breaded chicken breast until brown. (About 30 Seconds on each side ).
- After place chicken breast roll on a sheet pan and place in oven for approximately 12 – 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for Ten minutes before slicing on the bias.
For the Olive and a Grape Salsa
- Place sliced olives and gapes into a small bowl. Add diced tomatoes, parsley and basil. Add the Balsamic Vinegar and oil.
- Using a small spoon, mix to combine and season with salt and black peeper to taste. Serve atop the sliced chicken roulade.
For the Polenta
- Place a medium sauce pan over high heat. Add the Vegetable Oil followed by the aromatics; onions, garlic, pimentos and thyme leaves.
- Sauté for one minute until fragrant. Add your liquids comprising of the stock and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, do not allow liquid to boil.
- While whisking, drizzle in the corn mean flour. Remove pan from heat and add the cheeses, butter and parsley.
With a spatula return on low heat and cook for an additional minute until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately while it has a soft consistency.